Les "maisons sur pilotis" dans le lac Egelsee à Gachnang-Niederwil lors des fouilles 1962/63 © Amt für Archäologie Thurgau

  Gachnang Niederwil  |     Egelsee

actuellement disponible uniquement en langue anglaise
As early as in 1862,in the course of peat extractions at the dried-up Lake Egelsee, the remains of a Neolithic settlement were found. The following excavations produced the outlines of houses with well-preserved wooden floors. In 1962 and 1963 a team sent by the University of Groningen uncovered approximately a third of the known settlement. It contains about 30 houses in six rows, with small aisles between them. The chronology of the wooden floors and the layers of the hearths reveal that the buildings had been renewed various times between 3660 and 3585 BC.


3660–3585 avant J.-C.

la tourbière d'Egelsee

402 m

Taille du site 2,97 ha / environ 4 terrains de foot

Taille du zone tampon 5,49 ha / environ 8 terrains de foot

Particularités & points forts
actuellement disponible uniquement en langue anglaise
In collaboration with the University of Groningen NL, the pile-dwelling site was one of the first to be investigated in an interdisciplinary manner.

CH_TG_04 Gachnang Niederwil Egelsee
Objets en bois, dont un longeron avec une lame en cuivre montée © Amt für Archäologie Thurgau

Activités en cours
actuellement disponible uniquement en langue anglaise
The preservation of the site is monitored by the office Amt für Archäologie.

Découvrir les palafittes
actuellement disponible uniquement en langue anglaise
On site a sign informs about the archaeological site.
Selected finds can be visited at the Cantonal Museum of Archaeology.

Museum für Archäologie Frauenfeld
Freie Strasse 24
8510 Frauenfeld
+41 (0) 58 345 74 00
to the website

Opening hours
Tue–Fri 2–5 h pm
Sat & Sun 1–5 h pm